Farina Thompson Charitable Trust
The Farina Thompson Charitable Trust was set up in 1977 with a substantial donation from Farina Thompson. The Trust was also co-funded (at a later date) by various members of her family, inspired by her passion for philanthropy.
Throughout her life, Farina Thompson worked to support a number of children’s causes, both in New Zealand and internationally. She was a quiet and retiring person, a keen golfer and enthusiastic cricket supporter.
Her major interests lay in the arts with a special fondness for supporting music and ballet. It was also her wish that this charitable trust be used to help those that are less able to help themselves, to support the arts that she loved and to provide funding to organisations that benefit the community.
Under the terms of the trust deed, Farina Thompson directed the trustee to exercise their discretion to pay income from the fund to charities in the Canterbury region as the trustee thinks fit.
The Trustee has elected to focus on a particular sector each year in order to provide meaningful grants to recipients, rather than small grants to a broad range of organisations.
In 2019 the Trustees invite applications from organisations and agencies who provide services for children's homes, children's activities (ages 0-13); also residential care facilities and activities for those with intellectual, cognitive, or physical disabilities, in the Canterbury region.
Funding Amount and Time Frames
- Applications to be considered as a recipient for funding are assessed annually. The next granting cycle will be from Tuesday 4th June 2019 to Monday 24th June 2019.
- Successful applicants will receive a fixed annual donation for five years and will be eligible to reapply in 2023 for further funding in this category.
- The amount to be distributed this granting cycle is approximately $30,000.
- All applications must be completed online.
- The length of the assessment process is dependent on the volume of applications and all applicants are notified of the decision. During the assessment period, trustees may request further clarification from the applicant regarding their application.
Regrettably, due to the number of applications received, we are unable to provide detailed feedback on unsuccessful applications. Please note the decision of the Trustee is final and not subject to any appeals process.
Click on the following grant button to start your application.